Welcome to my blog!

Hello! Welcome! Family life here in Southern PA is my joy!!! We moved here all the way from AZ in 2006 after a visit here in 2004 where we fell in love with the area. Plain and simple we took a leap of faith. We took 2 years to make the decision to move and it was right on! We have not been sorry for one minute.

We joined the Quaker faith, it's a good fit. Our children attend public school. They enjoy each day and have learned a great deal. We believe however, that what happens outside the classroom is just as important for their futures. We want those experiences to be nurturing and wonderful.

Tim and I have been married 13.5 years! Oh my. We have been parents since 1997 when our first child was born. We became foster parents in 2005 and adoptive parents 2007. We continue to foster children in our home with placements through the county. So far we have had 9 foster children. We will adopt again and hopefully soon!

The theme of my Blog...."Teach only love" is also the name of a book by G. Jampolsky and also from the "Course in Miracles" it's not my main philosophy in life but I have been drawn to it as well as other philosophies that are similar.

Teach Only Love Because That Is What You Are!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Super Mom... dah dum!


I am always hesitant to take on that sort of moniker but guess what.... I'm applying for the job title. My oldest just came home with her 2nd bout of Strep in about 3 weeks. I was about to put my head in the ground when she told me her throat was sore and give her some pain killer and send her to bed (someone said strep doesn't return!) but I had a sane moment and decided to haul her to the doctors office immediately... in we go with 4 children 4 and under along with my tearful daughter.

The doctor finished up his visit with my daughter having to repeat his questions and comments a few times while I adjusted children into chairs again and again to keep some order in this very small exam room. I finally handed the 2, 3 and 4 year olds a pamphlet on Asthma and told them to study it hard because there will be a test! This was the only minute of quiet while they complied quizzically with my order. As we left, the doctor was sneezing fitfully telling me he thought maybe he was allergic to one of us. I laughed and told him likely it was the energy level that was causing some hiccups in his usually calm demeanor.

My foster son J was diagnosed Monday with a serious ear infection (they think his ears have been under water on and off for awhile because of prior problems he has had and I just find out his mom has had tubes in her ears so possibly something genetic?) My husband complained last week of a sore throat and is now on antibiotics for an upper respiratory bug. I have had countless other appointments with the kids for a variety of issues that have arisen. It has been just a steady stream of things that I consider easy peasy to deal with however, the reoccurring infections are not welcome and not easy as far as I'm concerned. They need to stop!!!

I know I signed up for this duty with the 6 kids. I personally love children and enjoy them. I'm still learning how to accept a little bit of loneliness in the job. I also accept some people not only think I suck at the job and must be insane to have all these kids under my roof but also there are those who think I deserve every ounce of difficulty that comes my way. I do make some peoples lives difficult so why shouldn't they be happy when mine is chaotic?

Anyhow I will gladly take the cape... red tights... a shiny blue leotard emblazoned with Super Mom!!! I'm sure then no one will disagree that I'm certifiable when I show up to buy groceries in my new outfit!

4 comments:

Kathy's Korner said...

for the record...strep is a bacteria that comes back for sure. Some seem more susceptible then others....and some people can be "carriers" of it and never get the full blown strep throat symptoms. My extended family has had lots of issues with it

My J has had it multiple times.

Sigh.


I feel similarly with just 4....I've got it all together...until someone gets sick! That just doesn't work on the ol calendar! no can do!

Can't imagine what it would do with 2 more kids and all the appts the foster kiddos have to attend!

Big hugs!

kyooty said...

I thought for sure every single "strep" was different, and attacked differently so once you killed one, your body knew how to deal, them moved on to the next one? Maybe I'm wrong! it'shappened before. :P
I Do think you are super mom but would never ever ever ever think you DESERVE to have diffficulty. What kind of person thinks like that?
I think you fit many kids :)

Anne said...

Kathy... the doctor said it should not come back so quickly. They think that the antibiotic just didn't work. She takes pills because with liquid she often hurls so she won't get the full benefit but she's pretty religious with the pills.

Mary... I talked to a nurse too who said it shouldn't come back. Not that quickly anyhow. The website I looked up said whether or not you treat it or not it will go away. I panicked though because I heard that it can cause Rheumatic fever. Probably a rare thing though. I really thought it was much more serious than it is.

I have a couple people in my midst that really get upset that my kids are not more disciplined. I've got to toughen up and let that stuff slide off my back because really I think my kids are so much better adjusted in spite of their "issues"

kyooty said...

Tagged you in a meme